Saturday, April 28, 2012

Day 5: Gila Bend, AZ to Marana, AZ

Hooray for triple digits! We cranked out 100 miles today!

We woke up at 4:30 so that we could be on the road peddling at 5:30. Matt's best was watching the sunrise come up. It was beautiful with all of the tall saguaro cacti silhouetted by the sunrise.

It was a good thing we started so early because once it got to be 10:00 the sun was blazing. My worst for the day is my sunburn. I put on another layer of sunscreen at every rest break (about every hour), but I still got fried today. Tonight we're driving into Tucson to get some long pants and sleeves to protect us from the sun. For about the last hour of the ride today I had to pull on my pair of sweatpants. They're super baggy and so Matt taped them up so they wouldn't get caught in the gears. Not the cutest outfit ever, but it felt a little better.

My best for the day was a little miracle that happened. I had prayed that my wrists and hands wouldn't hurt today because we hadn't been able to get wrist braces yet and they didn't! It sounds like such a small thing but it was huge to me.

There were tons of geckos, rabbits, birds, squirrels, mice, chipmunks, etc. on the side of the road. And we saw a lot of roadkill too... a cat, a mouse, a snake, a falcon, and a fox.

Great day but excited for tomorrow (Sunday--our day of rest)!










2 comments: