Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Day 16: The-Middle-of-Nowhere, TX to Fort Stockton, TX

First off, we would like to thank those who donated to JDRF (the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation) since last Sunday. Thank you all so much for your thoughtful donations!:

Laura LeBaron (our grandma), Spencer Ray, Trevor Evans, Kimball Hansen, Marcus Shaw, Ron Purvis, and Todd Castagna

If you would like to make a donation, click here or on the button that says "MAKE A DONATION!" on the right of our blog under the thermometer. All donations go straight to JDRF; Matt and I don't see any of it. (All of our expenses like lodging, food, biking gear, etc. come from our own savings.) Every donation makes a difference!

Today was full of blessings! I biked the whole way today and didn't have a headache at all from my concussion last week. I really appreciate those who prayed and fasted for me! Thank you so very much.

The whole time we were biking the weather was great too. There were some headwinds but they weren't too bad.


Matt and I biked 71 miles to Fort Stockton where we talked to two really nice newspaper reporters. (We'll put up a link when it comes out.) The next town is 100 miles away, so we decided to grab a motel room, take our bags in, and then get some dinner before we started off again until it got dark. We were having some Mexican food across the street from the motel when out of nowhere it started raining like nuts! The drops were the size of marbles and the streets were totally flooded within a couple minutes. (The pictures do not do it justice.) Because conditions were too dangerous for biking, we called it a day and went back to the motel. I was screaming the whole time we were taking the bikes from the bed of the truck into the motel room with us, and our clothes and shoes are all hanging up to dry now :) Thankfully we had already carried in all of our bags and such before it started raining.

Weirdest moment of the day: I was biking down the road and thought I saw a tree in the distance walking! I was worrying that my headaches from yesterday was being replaced by hallucinations! Haha when we got about a minute closer, however, I realized it was just a hitch hiker walking down the side of the road :) It made me feel better that Matt thought it was a sign walking.

We found another website that mentions our trip, even though the picture they put in is definitely not us :)
http://besuretotest.com/news-a-blog/parents-and-family-blog/191-siblings-bike-across-the-country-for-diabetes-research



2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're healed and able to ride again Amber!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of you are an inspiration! We pray for you every day. :)

    ReplyDelete